Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Little Taste of Summer

Ah, Summertime. I thought I would share some of my summer things. These are my Shasta Daisies. I've had them for years and had to transplant them, and they just keep flourishing! I just wish they bloomed longer!
My peonies just started blooming today! I love them!
Fresh strawberries just started yesterday! We had our first strawberry shortcake last night. Oh boy, do I love strawberry season! These are the biscuits I always make. I make them for shortcake, holidays, everything. They turn out perfect everytime! Here's the recipe:
Bath Buns
2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Mix these together; after, cut 3 Tablespoons
shortening(I use veg. oil) into flour mixture.
Add 1/2 cup sugar, mix, then add 1 egg, mix(it will be
dry right now, but just trust me:), then just add
enough milk till it makes a soft dough. Instead of
cutting them into fancy buns(they are more like
biscuits than buns), I take some out with my hands
roll it around in flour, then plop it on the pan.
Cook them at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes.

I found this recipe in a bunch of old recipes that came with some auction stuff a few years ago. It was in the Household Magazine from 1930! It didn't even have an oven temp.(it said to bake them in a quick oven), and no amount of time to be left in. I just experimented till I found the right temp. and time. I hope everyone can try them! They are so good!

Yum, yum! We have shortcake this way-with strawberries on biscuits with milk over top. I am interested to know how others have their shortcake, so let me know!
I have this setting out on my counter. I love this season! I don't like the heat, but I sure do love the flowers, picnics, grilling, campfires, cool evenings with fireflys(they are all over right now!), swimming, and the abundance of the harvest at the end of the season. The flower in the middle is an heirloom rose from my Mom's and the two flowers on the sides are one each of my columbines. I wish I could send the smell of the flowers and strawberries through so each of you could enjoy them too! I hope you all are enjoying your summer where you are! Get out and chase some fireflys! TTFN!

1 comment:

mysteryhistorymom said...

Love your peonies- they are my favorite. And the strawberry shortcake looks so yummy! Lori